join

Feb 15

DESIGN 101: How High Do You Hang Art Above Furniture?

heidilau-LL-nursery-office-131

Photo: Heidi Lau | see the rest of this room reveal here

We recently covered how high you hang art on a wall without furniture beneath it (you can check that out here, if you missed it!), but all of that goes out the window when you’re hanging art above furniture.  In this case, you really want both the art and the furniture piece to feel like a cohesive unit. Ultimately, they should feel visually connected as a whole. Whether you’re hanging art over a sofa, a console table, a desk, or beyond, you want the bottom of the frame to be mounted no less than 6″ and no more than 10″ above it.

Quick Design Tip: How High Do You Hang Art Above Furniture? | lark & linenQuick Design Tip: How High Do You Hang Art Above Furniture? | lark & linen

Bonus tip: if the art piece looks like it’s hung way too low when you take a step back to look, chances are it’s too small for the furniture piece and you need to size up!

If you have a moment, I’d love to know what quick design tip you’d like me to share next in the comments below. I’m taking notes!

filed in  /

1. […] post Quick Design Tip: How High Do You Hang Art Above Furniture? appeared first on lark & […]

2. Nicole says:

All good tips!

I would like to know your all time favourite couches, the comfy, the classic, the modern ones! With materials that can withstand children and pets.

3. Darlene Evans says:

Your design tips are always helpful. Would you kindly do one on how to style a fireplace mantle?

4. Joanna says:

I’d like some tips on decorating a mantel. I’m finding it troublesome. I have 2 creamy white pieces – vase & jug that I want to use. I’m not sure if I should keep them together on one side and use something (what?) on the other side Or put one on either side of the painting, then how to complete. I like few big pieces versus many little ones. It gives more impact, less clutter.

5. Brooke says:

Love these!! Would love any tips on how to deal with electric baseboard heaters and window treatments. Am I stuck with blinds vs drapes?

6. Iconsintex says:

thanks for sharing the information…….

7. Carol says:

I’ve been trying to find a small sectional for a vacation condo but not having much success, is custom affordable??

8. Marica says:

Very handy tips, thank you for sharing them! I find your bonus tip of “taking a step back” such a valuable gauge – sometimes one just instinctively knows (or even “feels”) whether or not something looks right.

9. Mi says:

Would like to see tips on how finishing touches to pull a room together in my case neutral furniture strong rug ( heriz red field). Red pillows feel too bright are neutrals too boring?
    Also appropriate pillow sizing related to back height and sofa design. Stagger sizes or repeat?
    Choosing the right frame for art based on room decor and style

10. […] (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This is only a small snippet of a Interior Design Article written by Jacquelyn Clark Read Full Article […]

11. Helpful Tips!! Thanks for sharing!

12. Bethany Germano says:

Does the table have to be as long as the picture above it?